Saturday, April 24, 2010

Pregnancy mistaken for a cyst?

I'm in a very wierd situation right now and cant see my doc again until Tuesday. I ws 6 weeks pregnant on Dec. 6 when I started bleeding heavily. I now know that it was a misscarriage, but because my HCG levels never fluctuated my doctor could not confirm until Dec. 24 from ultrasound results. At the time of the U.S the doc found what she claims was a cyst. Last week I found out I am pregnant again, and would need immediate ultra sound to ensure the "cyst" wasnt going to cause a problem. Well I had my ultrasound yesterday, and they found NO cyst and dated me at 9.5 weeks, wich means I would have been preggers at the first US is it possible they mistook my baby for a cyst?

Pregnancy mistaken for a cyst?
A gestational sac and an ovarian cyst are similar appearing structures....both black and rounded. BUT, they are located in different areas. A gestational sac is within the uterus (or should be for a normal pregnancy) and an ovarian cyst is outside of the uterus, on the ovary. I am not sure how anybody, who is familar with female anatomy, could confuse the two.





The cyst seen at your 12-24 ultrasound was probably a corpus luteum cyst, which makes progesterone. This prepares your body for pregnancy, should the sperm meet the egg and a baby is conceived. These cysts are present before pregnancy and remain in early pregnancy. So, you were either very early into pregnancy at that scan or about to get pregnant. At 9.5 weeks, we would expect the corpus luteum to be gone. Best wishes with your pregnancy!
Reply:The definition of cyst is a fluid filled sac.......


Pregnancy also consist of a fluid filled sac......


Might have been just very early pregnancy, when no heartbeat can be detected.

paper bush

No comments:

Post a Comment