Thursday, May 7, 2009

Cyst Removal During Pregnancy?

For the past few months, I've had reoccuring cysts that dissolve when I start my period. However, I recently found out I was pregnant.. therefore the cyst was not able to dissolve and it's still in there. I know because I get awful pelvic area pains during intercourse while the cysts are present. I have my first appointment at 6 weeks and I'm 5.5 weeks now. I was wondering if anyone has been through this before and how it worked out for them..... and what the procedure was like?

Cyst Removal During Pregnancy?
The cyst that occurs is a corpus luteum, if a pregnancy occurs after ovulation the corpus luteum continues to grow and produce progesterone to support the pregnancy untill the placenta can take over. If a preg. does not occur then the cyst will stop growing and go away.





When i was 11 weeks preg. my corpus luteum cyst had grown to 9cm and was causing me great pain. I was hospitalized and given pain meds and antibiotics and got some relief after a day or so. I was discharged on the 4th day with orders of bed rest and to drink 8-10 oz of water a day to help flush out the cyst. By the 14th week of preg. i was able to go about my normal routine. They did not want to do surgery as it would have endangered the baby and had the cyst not resolved itself, then they would have tried to do surgery after 14weeks. Hope this helps, some people are just more prone to have the larger cysts that others. I do think that riding 4-wheelers made mine grow to the uncomfortable size, but i will never know for sure. Take it easy and hope your feeling better soon.
Reply:Odds are they will monitor the cyst and if it doesn't get too big they will just leave it alone. It's pretty common.


No comments:

Post a Comment