Monday, November 16, 2009

I found a cyst?

Hi, I recently found a small cyst on my back up near my shoulder on the right side. You can move it around some- and I am sure its nothing- but the doc said it needs to come out and be biopsied. Does anyone know of these types of cysts? You cannot see it through the skin- so there is no color- I think the cyst is white inside. I also found a small lump in my wrist- and the doc took an x ray and I wont know results of that- but I do hear of gangolin cysts in wrists that are benign. On top of all that I have a strange mucousy cough that WILL NOT go away and the doc took tests for that too- blood work. Antibiotics are not helping the cough or other over the counter meds. I have had that for 4 weeks.

I found a cyst?
Typically, if the cyst is movable that is a good sign. Benign cysts sometimes develop for a variety of reasons, and they can be in a variety of places. I have had one on my wrist and one behind the back of my ear (oddly enough).





As for the cough, if it is not bacterial in nature, the antibiotics won't help much. If it is viral in nature (sounds like it could be), you could be suffering from a viral pneumonia. As with any virus, it will have to take it's course, but some good steps you can take is to get an OTC expectorant and do some simple exercises. Deep breathing help inflate your alveoli (lung sacs) in your lungs, which works to move sputum up your bronchial tree. Turning your head and forcefully coughing can also help to remove excess excretions. If you find that it is painful to do, use a pillow to splint your cough. Make sure you drink plenty of fluids also, so your body can break up those thick secretions in something that you can work with.





Hope any of this helps, but it is surely not intended to be in place of your MDs opinion.





Just for curiousity's sake, are you suffering from night sweats and/or fever? If so, look at clinical manifestations of tuberculosis. It doesn't usually present with a productive cough right away, but if you have other symptoms, it may be something to talk to your doc about.
Reply:I am so sorry to hear that you are not well. It must be scary to find lumps like that! It couldbe caused by a number of things but be confident in your doctor and follow his instructions and tests. He knows best... I have two cycsts/lumps in both my arms symmetrically just near my ebows and I found out that it was caused from swollen glands. It isn't anything to worry about but I was careful to ask my doctor about it and to have it examined. You never truly know... I hope that you recover soon and will be fine.


No comments:

Post a Comment